Friday, April 2, 2010

My Real World



Have I mentioned before that my dream is to own a coffee shop? I think I have. Cannot promise this will be the last time. I enjoy talking about and thinking about it.
Since today is Friday, I am going to let my imagination go regarding what I should be doing this morning. In a perfect world, I go early to open my shop. I would start out with a mug of regular coffee. Get me going. Strong, black coffee. When I was a child, I would wake up to the smell and sound of coffee percolating. If you are a wee lass you are thinking, what is percolating? If you are my age, you can smell and hear it right now. Wonder if that coffee would taste as good as we imagine it? Once the shop opens, customers would have a choice of mugs or cups. I think people should get a discount for bringing their own mugs. Do you have a favorite mug? I have several.
We will be very busy from 6:00-7:30. Probably have to think about hiring someone to help out during the morning rush.
There will be many regulars. Several newspapers will be sitting on the
counter. Not everyone wants to read the same paper. If I am creating utopia, I will go one step further. Every subject can be discussed. Only one rule applies, if you complain about a problem, have a positive solution.
The best time of the day is after the rush. The time when people are coming in to relax, sit around chatting. I will be able to serve people coffee, maybe even find time for a sit down break with a friend. I envision the shop as a gathering
place. People will come for meetings. People will have set days and times to
meet. There will be a Thursday morning coffee group.
How does this go together with my book passion? In the back corner of the shop will be a wall of books. In front of the books will be several leather, comfy chairs. Great lighting. Tables to set the coffee cups on. People can drink some coffee and read a book.
I have not forgotten that it is the age of computers. There will be internet for those of you who need it. I can imagine it all. What comes between me and my dreams? The usual. Money, security, insurance.
Unfortunately, while you are reading this, I am either driving to work or already at work. Sitting in front of a computer with about 90 other people in the room. Is it a sunny day, I have no idea, no window. If I want to know the weather I can walk about a half a block to find a window. It is more likely I will check out weather.com to see what is happening in the outside world. It is always a shock at the end of the day to walk out into the fresh air. See what I missed. I will make it through another day. Maybe I am one step closer to my dream job!

3 comments:

Munchkin said...

I want to be one of those customers that walks in every morning and you say "the usual Munchkin?" and i will say "why of course Grammy," i think your coffee shop would be awesome!!!

Anderson Family said...

Me too Munchkin!

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit your coffee shop!!