Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hitting The Books Hard

Two more books completed in my quest. Last Sunday night I decided I needed a light read. Something easy to read in the mornings before work and on my lunch. I read Chicken Soup for the Girlfriend's Soul. I have read quite a few of these books. I am going to say, too many of these books. Now I get it, I get it. They use some of the same stories over and over. There was a time when I needed my spirits lifted, this was what I would read. It is nice to read about the good in people. Great to be reminded goodness is out there, somewhere! This book just bored me. I am going to rate it a 2.
Thursday I stopped by Barnes on my lunch. I wanted to pick up something little for Bride To Be before our meeting. Just to remind her she will be missed. While I was looking for her gift, I managed to find three books on clearance. It was almost like they were giving books away for $3.99 each. Last night I read one called, One Perfect Day by Lauraine Snelling. I think I have read another book with this title. This is one of the reasons I need to learn to use excel and chart everything I read by author and book title. That way I can have quick access to my reading history. (Even I can recognize that statement makes me sound over the top crazy.) Deep sigh, and get back to the book. I really enjoyed this story.
The story starts at Christmas. One family getting ready to celebrate their last Christmas before their twins go off to college. The other family is celebrating what could be their last Christmas due to a health crisis. Heather is 20 years old and is on an organ transplant list. The Peterson family suffers the crisis of a car accident changing their lives forever. The Montgomery family gets the miracle of a heart that they have been waiting for. The stories are told through the mothers. The grief from one family. The elation for the other family. One family that has been preparing for death now has to learn to live. The other family that was enjoying life has to learn how to live after a death.
It was well written. I knew where the story was going. But I enjoyed the way it was written. Being told through the mothers. Getting the opposite ends of the spectrum of emotion. It was uniquely told. I will give this book a 4.
Up next, the new John Grisham, The Confession. I used to be in love with all his books. In the last few years I got bored of his legal books. I only bought his books that were not related to the law. I decided to give his stuff legal stuff another try. I will let you know how it goes......

Magic Number: 27

No comments: