Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's Book Club Night

It was book club night. Big night for book club. First of all, it is time to say good-bye to Bride To Be. She is leaving in less than two weeks. Heading off for a warmer climate. No longer to be a Bride To Be. She will be a Bride. I will really miss her. She has a passion for discussing books. Maybe, she just has a passion for talking and channels it for book club. I have truly enjoyed getting to know her through the club. I am a sucker for people that share my passion.
Saying good-bye to Bride To Be was not even the big news. Ready!!! We all usually have a drink with our dinner. As people slowly come to the table, we were all ordering something to drink. All of a sudden I noticed that Jersey Girl did not order a drink. I asked what the deal was. Not drinking = PREGNANT!!!! It is Page Turners first baby. We are very excited. We love to watch other women grow babies. Big life events. We need our next event to be for Bodey to find the love of her life. (She does not like the name, Easy Rider.) I don't want a bad nickname holding her back. She needs positive vibes. Anyway, we had all that going on before we even started the meeting.
The concensus at the table was we loved the book. Until.......the last chapter. We all agreed the book was filled with symbolism. Even with all our smarts combined, we could not figure out what it all meant. The basic premise of this book is when people die they go to a second life. An in between place. People remain in this second life until as long as there is a living person that remembers them. Not even remembered as a close friend or relative. It could be a person the living person just saw on the street everyday. As long as they are in the living person's memory, they stay in the second life. The story came together by the 4th or 5th chapter. The second life thing started making sense.
It was just the ending. It was such a let down It went on and on. We had a good discussion about we thought it means. We were all chatty tonight. I brought a guest. She is not a blog reader. Not sure I will have to give her a name. She is my oldest friend from here. I think we figured 27 years. Long time. Course in that time frame we make contact, lost contact, make contact, lose contact. Always with one constant. We enjoy each other when we see each other. She is very interesting. This summer we shared a big moment, the James Taylor/Carole King concert. That was a big deal for us. I think she enjoyed the meeting. I don't think she was scared away. I think she will come back again.
We ate at a Chinese/Japanese restaurant. The food was delicious. The presentation of the food was beautiful. The plates were white, over sized. Around the food was bright vegetables cut in cute shapes. Very nice. I ate too much. Now I am stuffed. Very stuffed.
We were discussing classic literature at our meeting tonight. Whether we would ever read anything like, The Great Gatsby. That got us on the discussion of famous first lines.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times............Tale of Two Cities

Bodey, I think you were the one that had The Great Gatsby right. It is:
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

To the Bride To Be I give you this great first paragraph:
Congratulations!
Today is your day.
Your off to great places.
You're off and way!

Oh the places you'll go! I rated the book 3.5. The .5 was my gift to The Bride To Be. She loves the .5.

3 comments:

Milhouse said...

you rated Oh! the places you will go! a 3?? what is WRONG with you?? that's at least a 4. maybe 4.5.

Unknown said...

No Milhouse. I rated The Brief History of the Dead 3.5. If I rated Oh The Places You'll Go, it would be a 5. That is my favorite Dr. Seuss

North of 10th said...

Just when I was beginning to embrace Easy Rider, I didn't like it for the connotation you put with it dear Page Turner. Bodey? you can do better :)