Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Morning Drive

Sometimes when I drive to work I am on automatic pilot. I get to work and did not notice a thing. Right now when I leave for work it is dark and I get to see the sunrise. I do not always appreciate it. Today I did. I looove to look at the colors in the fields just before and after harvest. Even the corn that is left in the fields gives off a golden glow. I look at the fields and love Illinois so much. I know some people find the flat land boring. I do not. I love looking and seeing the fields go on and on. If the land were not so flat, I would not get to see so far.
I have two favorite spots on my drive to work. The first is between Pontiac and Chenoa. I can see a golden glow all over the fields. I look to the east and the colors are always amazing!! Some mornings the sky is golden. This morning there was a front coming in. There were beautiful shades of pinks, blue, and gray. I felt like I was watching a show. To quote something my mother in law would have said, "God was showing off this morning."
My other favorite spot is around the Mackinaw river. This time of year the colors are fantastic. Reds, golds, yellows, some trees are already bare. There are a few evergreens for a dark green. There are rolling fields towards the river. I look at all of it and think, we are lucky people. This is where the term God's Country comes from.
I am a small town girl. I do not pretend to be anything else. I love the cycle of crops. I like the dark black dirt in the spring. I love watching the crops when they first pop up. My favorite time is when they turn golden. Most of the summer I watch the corn. It is amazing to watch it grow. In the fall the beans amaze me. Overnight they look like they have been sprinkled with gold dust. Now the crops are in. Some fields are plowed, the bottom of the corn stalks are left in some fields as a contrast against the dirt. Fall is amazing. Remember to to take time to not just look but appreciate the beauty around us. It can make mornings beautiful even for someone that is not a morning person like me.

No comments: