Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside

I am looking at a 4 day week-end. A stack of books and bad weather. This is going to help my challenge. Yesterday I finished a book called, Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson. I am going to rate this book a 3. I think I have figured out that most books are 3's. When I'm very lucky I find a 4 or 5. I am very glad I do not come across 1's very often. That might be my book optimism that I rarely met a book I do not like. This was a good story. It came close to being a 4. This is the story of two friends who should have ended up married. They grew up together and were connected. For many reasons it does not work out. Mal marries. His wife is not able to have children. His best friend, Nova, agrees to have Mal's baby for Stephanie and Mal to raise. Things do not go as planned. Nova raises Leo. This story is told while Leo is in the hospital in a coma. The story was uniquely told. What kept it at a 3 was I did not like the ending. I like a happy ending. This did not neatly wrap everything up. It was slightly better than average. In two months if Old Lady asks me what it was about, I would not immediately be able to bring it to mind.
I finished another book today. A quick read by David Sedaris called, squirrel seeks chipmunk. I usually enjoy his books. He has a sarcastic wit. He can be bitter. I enjoy that in his books. This book is about animals in the place of humans. It is very odd. Some of the stories I did not get at all. Some of the stories made sense. I am not sure why he decided to tell the story through animals. I really feel like I wasted my money on this book. I am going to give it a 1. That hurts. I hate to think I spent money on a 1. It is bound to happen once in awhile with all the books I buy and read. I hope the next one I pick up is better than this one!!

The count is: 18

No comments: