Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am very thankful that 3 years ago I was finally able to convince hubby that a move back "home" was the best thing for us. We left when we got married for hubby to go to college and then for his career. After he retired, he was willing to make the move. I always wanted to get back home. I am sorry we did not do it will our parents were still living. I am thrilled to live in the same town as family. Today we will only drive a few blocks for dinner. Very nice!
Tru Stories moving here and holding our grand children hostage here was the deciding factor for our move. I am a hands on Grammy. I believe in quality time and quantity. My kids did not grow up in the same town as their grandparents. They missed out on a positive life experience. My grand kids will never have to feel bad because a grandparent is not around on grandparent's day.
So many positive things have happened since I came home. Obvious things: I LOVE my house. (I do miss my old yard!) Tru Stories and family can walk to visit us. We can help out Tru Stories whether she needs us or not. My grand kids know me, WELL.
There are other good things that came from the move. I have developed a closer relationship with my good friend in my old town. Odd right? Since I commute 2 hours a day, it gets exhausting. I get more than exhausted from the long days. Weather can hinder my driving. I stay with my friend often. I have my own area of the house. We spend relaxing evenings hanging out. It is great.
I feel more comfortable with myself. I think it is because this was always my home. No matter how long we lived away, I knew this was home. I am a small town girl. I like conveniences in a bigger town, I can get those and came back home. A small town is just more relaxing. All of a sudden I noticed I drive more slowly down the side streets. I sit in front of my house more. We even put in a patio out front.
I have become involved in my town. I want to make an IMPACT. I know how many great things we have to offer here. I want it to be the best small town it can be. Being involved gives me more of a sense of purpose. I understand that all of us need to give back. The positive energy I get from giving is way more than the energy I expand to a project.
Being involved in my town gave me more initiative to get involved in other things. I started The Page Turner book club. It was something I always talked about doing. Not sure why moving finally got me to reach that goal. Starting the book club gave me the idea for this blog. I have always enjoyed reading and writing. This is a great outlet for both.
I have become so much closer to one of my brothers and sister-in-law. That means so much to me. I get a chance to stop by their house on my way home from work. Take the kids over to visit them. Their puppies wait at the door for me when they know I am going to visit.
So today, I am thankful for being back home. Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: