Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline

I do not read as much as I used to.  I try to at least read 1 book a week.  The last two books I finished were both amazing.  Both were unique and books I did not want to put down.
One of my favorite authors is Lisa Scottoline.  Her book came out last week.  I pre-ordered it.  I needed it to appear on my Kindle as soon as it came out.  This book had me in the first chapter.  She did not waste any time getting to the meat of the story.  I was upset by the story line.  Jake was married with a 15 year old son.  He was trying to repair broken relationships with his wife and son after making his career a priority over family.  Pam sent Jake to pick their son, Ryan, up from basketball practice.  She would put Jake and Ryan together in situations where they would be forced to talk.  Ryan was resisting Jake's presence.  Jake went to pick Ryan up after basketball practice.  He has the idea to let Ryan drive.  Ryan did not have a driving permit.  Ryan resists but Jake talks him into it.  There is an accident and it brings Ryan and Jake close for all the wrong reasons.
Jake makes so many bad decisions.  He puts his son in a terrible situation.  There are several twists and turns in this book.  I did not want to put the book down.  I was almost finished when my Kindle died.  Gone.  I resorted to finishing the story on my phone.  Not my favorite way to read, but I had no choice.  I rated this book a strong 4.  I figured out part of the ending early but was surprised by how it all went down. 

The other book I read last week was a book I found on Kindle Daily Deals.  I cannot remember if it was free or just a few dollars.  I never expect much from those books.  Well I was happily surprised.  The book was, the Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.  I do not think I have read anything by this author before.  I know I will be again.  It is hard to write about this book without giving anything away.  A wife finds a letter her husband wrote for her to read in the event of his death.  She mentions it to him.  He says don't read it.  She does not.  Let me interject here that I do not know one woman who would not have ripped that letter open as soon as it was found.  That was a crazy part of the story.  Her husband starts acting strange looking for the letter.  She finally opens it and finds out her husband has been harboring a secret since he was a teenager.  The news is devastating.  The wife has to decide between doing the right thing and ruining her family or keeping the secret.  The story is really about three families.  The author does a great job and describing all the characters without being confusing.  At the end the three stories come together for a big ending.
***Old Lady- you will like this story.  Good one for you to read.***
I rate that book a 4.  Real close to a 5.  Read it some Saturday.  Stay in your pj's and spend the day lost in a book.  Quick before sunshine comes, if it is really ever going to come.

Big problem now.  Do I replace my Kindle?  Do I get another Kindle or get a Tablet?  I cannot live without a kindle now.  I am used to being able to download a book as soon as I see one I like.  I am going back and forth on this.  The Kid and I had a discussion.  He thinks I should get a Nexus.  That is what he has.  He has an old Nook I could use.  Only problem is, I have tons of books on my Kindle.  For now, I will be reading on my phone. 

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I personally do not like reading on a tablet. I think it's the back lighting that bothers me. I love my Kindle. If mine ever craps out on me and I was going to purchase another it would be another Kindle.

Have you read Johnathon Tropper's "This is Where I Leave You"? Loved it. I need to read Wally Lamb's new one first, but I plan on reading more of Tropper's novels.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading on my kindle to. I think I will get another one.
Yes I read This Is Where I leave You. Enjoyed it. What Wally Lamb book?