Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The New Book Club

Last night I attended my new book club.  It has a name that I do not remember. Most of the members are retired teachers. I think they had to have a token candy store owner to meet some diversity standard. It works for me.
Our book this month was, The Three Miss Margaret's by Louise Shaffer. When I saw the picture of the cover I thought it looked like a fluff book. Seemed odd this group came up with a summer beach read. A few days before I started the book I ran into the club boss. She said when she read the book she devoured it. With her seal of approval I knew I had to read it.  I started it and could not put it down. Great read. So many twists and turns.  Three elderly white women, all named Margaret, share a deep friendship and a dark secret.
The book was so well written. We get the past life story of the characters to help understand why decisions were made. Normally, I do not enjoy when stories jump from past to present. It was so smooth in this story I enjoyed it.
I rated this book a 4. In the tradition of the Old Lady I found the end disappointing. I was not able to figure out the ending. That does not happen very often. Old Lady, I still think you would enjoy the book.
The discussion was excellent. This group loves to analyze a book. That makes me very happy. I miss having a glass of wine in my hand while we talk. We talked through a thunderstorm, a leak that required us to move. I can easily rate our discussion a 5.
This is a large club. I think there were seven of us last night. Not sure how many members there are. Will take me a long time to learn names.
The end of May is our trip to Arizona. We will be holding a Page Turner meeting. We are reading The Shack, again. Very excited.

No comments: