Friday, August 1, 2014

THE OLD LADY HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!

Yesterday The Old Lady retired.  Just like she lived her life she did it quietly.  She only told a few people.  There was no celebration.  She waited until most people were gone, packed her desk, walked out with a friend.  Stood in the parking lot talking to a couple of friends.  That was it.  No fanfare.  I know that today there are many, many upset people.  Old Lady worked for the company 44 years.  She probably made 100's of friends.  They will be sad not to see her off.   It does not surprise me that she left without a party.  She is not a person that enjoys being the center of attention.  She is a quiet observer. 
The picture above is from a Relay Dance.  Easy Rider on the right is now in Arizona.  I'm in my candy shop, Old Lady is retired, and My Girl T just became a Mommy.  Many of Old Ladies people have left the department.  There was a time we had a large group of friends and co-workers and we had a good time working.  We did our jobs and really enjoyed each other.  So many changes now.  When OL started at the company women had to wear dresses, people could smoke at their desks, things were done on paper, not the computer.  When they put in the new phone system, OL told me she was done learning new things.  She did not want to anymore.  I get it. 
So friend here is to your new life!  I thank you for giving me so many laughs at work.  Your wisdom was appreciated.  The kids we worked with have grown up.  Most of them have moved on.  Your work there is done.  I know you will find something else to do with your time.  You do not like to stay at home.  (She never missed work!!!)  Before you jump into something new, take time for you.  Do something fun!  Come visit me at the sweet shop often.  Good luck to you.  Congratulations on an amazing career.  You did a good job.  You lived by your motto:  Get up, dress up, and show up!!!
I do not have to worry about saying good-bye.  We already have plans on Monday!
Love you Old Lady,
Alice

No comments: