Saturday, November 27, 2010

Long Holiday Week-end

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. So much great food. Followed by so much laughter playing Catch Phrase. Then out to the garage to watch and take part in a Ping Pong Tournament. It was such a nice day. Came home feeling fine, read for awhile, woke up at 2:30 am with the flu. My plan was to start a diet yesterday. The flu was not part of the plan. I slept on and off allllll day yesterday. The only reason I forced myself to stay awake was my body hurt from laying in bed too long. I lost an entire day of reading from being ill. That said, I have managed to finish two books.

The first book I read was, Where or When by Anita Shreve. I have read a few of her books and love them. This book, not so much. I rate it a 2. I can promise The Old Lady I will forget I ever read it very soon. It is a story of a man and woman who connect 30 years after they first met at a summer camp. They were each other's first loves. They first connect through letters, than they start meeting at a inn that was created on the grounds where they went to summer camp. I am not sure what the purpose of this story was. I would not call it a love story. I do not want to spend too much time writing about it. I already wasted enough time reading it.

The second book I read was, Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox. I rate this book a 3. The only thing that kept it from being a 4 was some of the details about campaigning bored me. It is odd to read a book written by someone with a debilitating disease like Parkinson's and still feel like they are a lucky person. The best thing Michael J. Fox did was marry Tracy Pollen. They have an amazing family and a great marriage. His disease has brought them closer.
One of the best things about the story is it did remind me that stem cell research is personal. I have always supported it. Now it has a face. Several faces. It is not just research. For some people it is life and death. This is a good book to read. It is informative. Parts of it are political. The personal things about his family are so impressive. It offers many different stories within one book.

Time to open the next book. No time to play. I'm still not back to normal from being sick. Gives me a good excuse to lay around reading.

The Count is: 16

No comments: