Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blogging Drought

I have seriously neglected reading and blogging in the last few weeks.  This is due to finding a new obsession.  It started from a visit to the restroom of Bubba's something or others restaurant in Savannah, GA.  There was a bowl of amazing sea salt scrub on the counter.  Tru Stories and I both LOVED it.  Our hands felt like silk.  We go into the little store attached to the restaurant to purchase some, the cost was outrageous.  I think it was around $30 for a jar.  Too much!  When I got home I googled recipes for sea salt scrubs.  Made some, loved it.  Continued to google homemade beauty recipes.  I had already made several chemical free cleaning products.  My obsession was born! I enjoy the research part as much as the making part.  I have started compiling things to make the products.  There is so much out there.  I have given out many samples.  So far people are in love with my brown sugar scrub.  It is recommended for elbows, knees, and feet.  It is also great for tanned legs that need to be exfoliated.  Some people use it all over their body.  My personal favorite right now is the shaving lotion.  It is awesome! 
My business has a name, Save Your Sole.  This came from the fact my job is very soul sucking right now.  I am looking for things to save my soul.  I have two guys very involved in marketing.  That means they need something to use the brains for too.  I already have a many containers of essence oils and base oils.  It is shocking how many things can be used to make healthy beauty products.
So far I have made:  face wash (this needs work, do not love the recipe yet), sea salt scrub, two different recipes of brown sugar scrub, a gardener's scrub (love it), a body butter (needs to be tweaked), foaming hand soap (not all natural, just money saving).  This week I ordered some real containers.  So far I have used small canning jars and plastic containers.  The canning jars look more high end.  In reality glass containers for the shower are not a great idea.  I have already had a couple of real orders.  Today I am making items for sale.  Hoping the samples have lured people to want more. 
While researching body products I purchased a book on cures for all types of ailments.  This book covers using vitamins and minerals, essence oils, herbs and plants.  Very interesting.  I think I would like to start taking some on-line classes.  Coconut Oil is almost magically.  There are so many uses.  Last night I put pure coconut oil under Coco's bottom lip.  She is so chapped.  Cannot wait to see how it looks when she wakes up.  I have been cured with coconut milk myself.  Many years ago Hubby and I took a trip to Jamaica.  We only left our awesome resort one time.  That was to take a trip through the markets and to Dunn River Falls (that is a story in itself).  While we were going through the markets I started have immediate signs of a bladder infection.  Not a good spot for that to happen.  When the van would stop, I started looking for a restroom.  By the time we got back to the hotel I was urinating blood.  Ready to die!  Immediately went to the medical office.  They suggested cranberry juice (which the resort was out of but would have in the morning) and pure coconut milk.  There was a vendor in the resort square selling fresh coconut milk.  He would cut the coconut open and stick in the straw.  Warm coconut milk is not delicious.  I was desperate.  Drank all of it.  The frequent urination and pain was gone within a couple of hours.  In the morning the resort had cranberry juice and I started drinking it.  I did not have to use any medication for the infection.  It was amazing!
I have a HUGE supply of vitamins and supplements that I take.  Cranberry pills are always in my cabinet.  I used to use Valerian root to sleep.  I suggested it to a friend that had not slept well in years.  She said her insomnia is gone.  I am not sure why Munchkin wasted all that money and time becoming a Doctor.  She could have dispensed natural medications right out of her home.  I am seriously thinking about taking some on-line classes.  It is so interesting.  I am not over the top yet.  I have not thrown out my lipitor, anti-depressant ( though it is time for that to go), or thyroid pill (that might need to go too).  I think our generation is too reliant on taking a pill.  There are many natural things out there to use.
I admit I am a junkie when it comes to researching things on the internet.  That could explain some of The Kid's interest.  So much to learn, right at our fingertips!
Hey bloggers, we really have slacked off this summer.  Should we do a Blogger Challenge.  See who can post the most blogs in a certain amount of time?  We can wait until adults and children are settled into the school schedule.  What do you think? 

5 comments:

Munchkin said...

I love it when people come in and tell me what they read on the internet. I love it more when Dr. Oz said it.

Munchkin said...

we sell vitamins and herbals too. don't discount the importance of chemical properties and mechanisms of action. while I do recommend certain "natural" products, natural absolutely does NOT equal safe.

Unknown said...

Welcome Munchkin! I thought you might comment on this. I agree 100%. I get that herbals are not checked for safety.
That said, it is so interesting to read things that can safely be used. Mainly, I am interested in skin products that are chemical free.
People love Dr. Oz. Tru Stories is a big fan of the Oz.

The Mrs. said...

Page Turner, please stop trying to drive Munchkin out of a job. We need her to keep working for that big paycheck so she can continue to pay her mortgage on her fancy house. It's our new family party headquarters. Feel free to continue with the homemade beauty products though - sounds like a great business venture!

Tru Stories said...

I'm actually not THAT HUGE of a fan of Oz... I liked him for short segments on Oprah but the full hour... is sometimes too much.