Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Random

Last week I received a call from my doctor's office.  She said I was scheduled to have follow-up blood work done in November and never did it.  It was just a recheck from a few things that were off in October.  Monday I made (what now feels like) the long drive (20 minutes) to a nearby hospital for the tests.  Fearing, I would receive a call this week that things were off.  Yesterday, I received the call. 
Nurse:  After reviewing your test results the Dr. would like to see you?
Me:  What is the problem?
Nurse:  She does not give us that info.  We are just told to call and schedule.  Can you come in today?
Me:  I guess.  What do you have open?  (Thinking, this can't be good!!!)

So......I found someone to come into work and made the HOUR long drive to see my doctor.  I fully expected to receive a lecture about a few tests I blew off.  In addition, I blew off an education class on diabetes.  I love my doctor.  I was ready to really catch it from her.
I am called into her office.  Happily, blood pressure great.  Unhappily, weight not.  Nurse finishes her stuff.  I wait for the bad news.  In comes my Dr.  First I would like to say, my Dr. is my age or a few years older.  She looked amazing.  She has been dropping weight.  She has also took her wardrobe up about 5 notches.  She is a poster woman for healthy living.  Back to story.  She called me in to tell me that all my test results were normal.  Everything that was off in October is now fine.  Most of the problem was vitamin deficiencies.  Now I take all kinds of supplements and it worked.  I don't know how or why but my sugar could was back in a normal range.  The Dr. said she noticed I had not attended my appointment for diabetes counseling.  She said obviously you know what to eat to control your diet.  Right!  100% correct.  I know what to eat, I am not doing it.  She also told me that because my sugar was off one time, I am considered diabetic.  That is ridiculous. 
I did manage to get a walk in Monday when the weather was so great.  Today, I packed breakfast and lunch.  Healthy snacks.  It is time to (beyond time) take my health seriously.  Or just stop going to the Dr. so I do not hear what is wrong......
Best part of the appointment.  We talked books.  Doc is now into audio books.  She said she downloads to her ipod and listens while she is at home.  She has a docking station and  uses blue tooth.  She said she can go from room to room cleaning and just be absorbed in the book.  I like audio books in my car.  I have not gotten into it at home.  I should try again.  She suggested I downloads books and listen while I walk.  Not a bad idea.
She recently finished the book, The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt.  I have seen that on several book lists.  Considered reading it.  She said it was amazing.  She is now on the second book by that author.  She said it is not as good.  When I LOVE a book, I rarely like the second book by the same author.  There are exceptions.  That is now on my list of reads..
Chatting with Doc made the hour drive worth it.  Really need to get healthy!!!!

No comments: