Thursday, October 30, 2014

You Are Not Alone by Verediane Mukagatanazi

This book was written by a resident of our village.  She grew up in Rwandan.  The book is about growing up and surviving the civil war.  It is a short book.  I think she could have made it much more interesting if she would have written more.  She started writing as a journal.  It was suggested by her counselor to help her heal.  Someone who knew her story eventually convinced her to have it published.  She self-published so it can only be purchased locally.  I am currently selling it in my shop. 
I read it yesterday.  It is a quick read.  It is written the way she speaks.  Not grammatically correct.  If she were going to have it published, it would be more important.  I have not read any of the books about Rwandan.  I really stay away from books that are so tragic.  Does that mean I put my head in the sand?  Yes, I do.  Too much sadness. 
Interesting story about how I got the book.  I read an article in our local paper about Verediane and her book.  A few days ago I sent a text to my friend at the paper and asked her if they were selling any copies.  She said, no.  She did not where the book was being sold.  I was at the library on Monday night and asked if they had it.  They did not.  Tuesday a friend came in my shop.  She said, would you be interested in selling Verediane's book?  I said, yes.  Did you know I was trying to find a copy?  She said, no.  I was just thinking it is a good place for her to sell it.  So odd how these things happen!!!  Verediane brought me a few books that afternoon.  I can help her get the story out there.  I gave her money for my copy.  She said she did not want me to pay for it.  I said, no, I would have bought the book. 
The book was not filled with all the details of the horrific events.  She tells the story as if it happened to someone else.  It is first person but she takes emotion out of the story.  If that makes sense?  Reading it still leaves an impression of so many obstacles she had to overcome. 
I had never met her before she brought the books.  Today she stopped in with more books.  I wanted to hug her after reading her story.  Held back because I did not know how she would take it. It was an odd experience to read that story and just have a normal conversation.  We did not discuss the book.  There were people in the shop.  Next time I will discuss it.  She is a tiny lady.  One of those times I am reminded that we never know the story behind the face.  Could never imagine what she lived through.  Now I want the story of how she ended up in our little town!!  From Rwandan to here!  Unreal!! 
If you want to read it, come and pay me a visit.

No comments: