Thursday, January 1, 2015

Final Count From 2014

I do not know why but 2014 ended up being a low reading year for me.  It felt like I was reading all the time.  Not sure how this happened.  My book journal shows I read 68 books.  I think there are more.  I do not always remember to journal immediately.  I was so busy at the end of the year with my volunteer work, kept me from reading and remembering to journal when I did read.  The last couple of books I read were good ones.
For our December book club we read, A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote.  This is a short story.  We wanted something light for December.  It was a short story.  Almost too short.  I read it during the boring parts of a school band concert.  No reading took place while The Kid was playing.  Obviously, if he was playing, it was not boring.  It was a nice story.  A little boy lived in a house with many adult Aunts.  One Aunt was a bit off.  She and the boy became close friends.  They were like lost souls that found each other.  Once a year they made fruit cakes.  It was a story that I saw in my mind in black and white.  It was not a bleak story.  It was sweet. 
The last book of the year was,Hello From The Gillespies by Monica McInerney.  It was on a list somewhere as a must read.  Maybe an Oprah list.  This is a unique story.  It would be a good book club read.  I would rate it a 3.  It seems like I read too many 3's this year.  It would be wonderful to find a 5.  For 33 years Angela Gillespie has sent an end of year letter about the family.  It is always cheery and positive.  Until this year.  Angela went to write the letter and could not fake it.  She started writing about what was really going on in her family.  She never meant for her too honest letter to be sent.  As she started writing it felt good to get all the negative out of her system.  A sudden accident causes her to have to leave her house.  When her husband sees the letter he thinks he is doing Angela a favor by sending the letter out.  Everyone on Angela's list receives the letter describing how horrible her life has become.  The fall out trickles in slowly.  The letter causes the family to be confronted by the truth of where their lives are.  At least through Angela's eyes.  As they all deal with their realities there is another twist in the story.  It is a surprise and keeps the story from being predictable.  Good read if you want something unique.
My reading goals for next year are about the same.  Not trying to hit high numbers.  Would like to find more quality books.  One of the man books on my list is the Bible.  I am attending a Bible Study Class.  I am using a Bible version called The Message.  It is good for study purposes.  The first session was eye opening.  We looked at several versions of the Bible.  We read the same passages from each book.  So interesting to read the interpretation from each Bible.  I will not be rating the Bible.  It was arrogant enough to rate The Great Gatsby!!!
The Jersey Girl brought her family into the shop for a visit the other day.  The Dream Maker was in before Christmas.  I stay in continuous contact with Old Lady.  I think we are going to need to get together for a club meeting soon.  Maybe we need to go to quarterly meetings.  I miss our group getting together.  Course it will not be the same without Easy Rider.  She was the reason I started the club.  Maybe Skype?  Ladies, start thinking about something for us to read.....
Hubby and I attended the moving, Unbroken.  I was not excited about seeing this movie.  The book was great.  I was worried about the abuse.  When Louie was a POW the abuse was horrific.  I had to close my eyes a few times in the movie.  It was not as graphic as the book.  Thankfully!  It was a good movie.  Too long for the tiny theatre we were in.  No leg room for me.  It was miserable for Hubby.  Too many commercials before the movie.  I do not love watching movies in a theatre anymore.  I think it was over 10 years since Hubby and I had a movie date.  He said he can go 10 more without seeing a movie.  If we need to go again, we will find stadium seating.  Normally, I do not like movies at all after I read the book.  This movie was still good even after reading the book. 
I would like to go to the theatre to see the movie, Wild.  I loved the book.  I think the movie will be beautiful and good.  I have more patience for movies than Hubby.  I try to go at least once every two years.  I might get out to see Wild.
Anyone have any suggestions on great books from 2014?  Let me know.